Its that most wonderful time of year when folks make lists check them twice. And find out whose been naughty or nice! Imagine this. Jolly old St. Nick stops by your job bringing gifts, performance awards, and bonuses. Maybe you need a visual. Let’s just say the picture looked something like an episode of Oprah’s Favorite Things. Those folks look like they’ve hit the jackpot! Now back to St. Nick. He wants to reward the “good” employee. Would he have something for you? Would St. Nick dub you an office scrooge or the “good” employee? One who works for the “good” of the organization? Let’s marinate on the makings of the “good” employee.
- putting your agenda aside.
- tabling your personal issues.
- always willing to reduce conflict.
- checking your ego when you weren’t selected as the number one person on the project.
- adjusting to new business processes to improve customer service.
- lending your expertise to the new hire who now occupies the position you applied for.
- supporting your manager on a project that you don’t fully agree with 100 percent.
- cooperating and tolerating a co-worker who finds tons of ways to nettle you.
- learning new methods to doing work.
- making decisions and taking actions that benefit the organization.
Folks have their eyes on the “good” employees! Good things come to those who do good! So, be good for goodness sakes!